Friday, February 1, 2008

The Simpler the Sweet...the Better!


This recipe is from one of my favorite websites www.sweetsavvy.com. It is a website of all things sweet made with all natural unrefined sweeteners. It is divine and the recipes are simple, natural and tasty.

I have been exploring the variety of natural sweeteners because of this site and have found that I like using them. I especially like to put agave nectar in my coffee…yummy! If you are new to this site, I love agave nectar and have been using it in recipes that call for sugar. The result is great, sweet and a lower glycemic index.

Try this simple recipe below. It is so easy and seriously delicious. I would like to call them, Natures Truffle!

A Valentine Date


Makes 8 "dates"

Directions:
Put the dates on a plate and mash them with the tines of a sturdy fork.
Add the cocoa powder and mix with the dates using the tips of your fingers.
Add the chopped nuts and continue to mix until all is incorporated.
Break the mixture into 8 pieces and roll each one into a ball.
Roll in cocoa powder, coconut, or powdered nuts.

Ingredients:
· 3 Deglet Noor dates (must be Deglet Noor--buy them at a natural food store)
· 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
· 1 teaspoon chopped nuts


TIPS* use any nut you like (or leave the nuts out altogether)* add other dried fruits if you want* add more coconut* add any flavorings you like

Recipe adapted from sweetsavvy.com
(c) copyright 2007 Debra Lynn Dadd. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

Julie B said...

so simple but it sounds so delicious!
I, too, have been trying to stay away from using refined sugars. I just found a cookie recipe that we love, but it calls for 1 cup of brown sugar! They are flour-less cookies, so the sugar is the only thing really holding it together. Any suggestions for a substitute? My girls loved it-we used peabutter instead of peanut butter so that my youngest could eat them. I just hate the amount of sugar it needs.

SimplyFoodOnline said...

Hmmm...Well, one option that would be rapadura. This is sugar in the purest form and it is somewhat "brown" already. It is basically Whole Cane Sugar, unrefined and unbleached. Unlilke other sugars, it is not seperated from the molassas stream during squeeze dried processing. It is great for baking and from what they say can be used one for one when recipe calls for sugar. A woman at work sometimes grind it up even finer as it is a little grainey. Go to www.rapunzel.com.

Anonymous said...

When I was eating raw foods I made a similar treat. I mixed chopped soaked dates with coconut, chopped and/or ground almonds, sprouted sunflower seeds (or just raw, or omit) raisins and whatever you like really and then make into balls and put them on the dehydrator for a day. Really good.

Julie B said...

I will have to try the rapadura-I had actually bookmarked info on it awhile ago and meant to try it out, but forgot about it :)

SimplyFoodOnline said...

Rebecca, that sounds great. I will have to try that.