Monday, February 18, 2008

Sickness and Food.

So, here I sit on the couch, sick and trying to recover from the worst (so far) weekend of sickness my family has ever seen. None of us could eat due to fever, aches, and just plain feeling bad. At one point the only time my son perked up is when someone mentioned Jell-o. "Jell-o?, OK!". So, my husband, the only well person when in search of Jell-o. Needless to say, the ready made Jell-o options were enough to make HIM sick. Most of the ready made jell-os were made with aspartame...even the prodcuts for the kids! All of the artifical colors and flavors were just as ridiculous. Even if he bought a package of the stuff you make yourself, it is still filled with artificial colors and flavors. SO, we went a different route!

Now, I know, I know...gelatin...vegetarians won't touch it (and that is OK) and if you really think about where it comes from, well, it could gross you out. But, when you are a kid, there is something familiar and sweet and wonderful about gelatin. I believe there are a few kosher brands of gelatin out there as well. I believe that there are a few gelatin product out there that are made from seaweed, but that is another post all together and I promise, when I feel better, I will post vegetarian gelatin options.

OK, on with the recipe. So, we made our own fruit gelatin and it was wonderful!! We made it with a bit more gelatin so we could cut the gelatin out with cookie cutters and make fun jigglers out of them. The recipe is simple using non-flavored gelatin and 100% fruit juice or nectar. I used Santa Cruz Oranic Mango/Orange Juice. It worked really well. I would stick to the "thicker" juices and nectars.

Frigglers

Directions
  • Dissolve gelatin packets in 1/2 cup of juice
  • Heat the remaining 1 1/2 cups juice in in saucepan until it boils
  • Pour over the gelatin mixture
  • Stir until dissolved
  • Oil the bottom and sides of an 8"x8" baking dish
  • Pour into a 8"x8" glass baking dish
  • Refridgerate for 3 hours
  • Cut with cookie cutters or spoon out and serve
Ingredients
  • Two (1/4 oz) non-flavored gelatin packages
  • 2 cups juice or nectar

No comments: