Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Eggplant Fries



That is what I called pan fried eggplant to my children to get them to try a new vegetable. I have a 50% success rate at the moment as my almost 2 year old at them up and my almost 4 year old said...yuck, no way. I thought it was a good idea anyway and my husband and I ate them all up.

Eggplant, I LOVE it and tend to forget about it all the time. It is so good and tender. It almost reminds me of a piece of meat (vegetable meat...)

Anyway, I cut the eggplant small wedge-like fry shapes, dipped them in egg, then in whole wheat flour and then pan fried them in olive oil. One thing that I SHOULD have done but didn't, was to sprinkle some Parmesan cheese before serving...ahhh, well, next time. (I did however put a bit of sea salt on them)

Hope this gives you just one more easy, tasty idea for dinner or a snack. Prep-time is about 10 minutes and cook time is about 5-8 minutes a batch.

1 comment:

Kate said...

We use aubergines quite a lot you can have them with courgettes too.
Although we cook it differently, I think your recipe would be welcome in our repertoire.
Our favourite way is to slice them lengthwise and to fry them as they are.
After frying, place on a plate covered on which is a kitchen towel to absorb any of the olive oil used.
After a few minute draining, place in layers in a saucepan, sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar and cinnamon on alternate layers and simmer for about 45-60 minutes.
They are then ready to eat either as an accompaniment to a meat or chicken dish or perhaps with a beaten egg or two poured over the top and allowed to cook until the egg solidifies and shows it is ready to eat.
We like to finish the meal with our favourite Yemeni Matari coffee from The Tea and Coffee Emporium.
Thanks for the post and the opportunity to comment.