Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Time to join Cookies Annonymous (CA)



I have a problem with cookies…I can’t help it.

I am forever in search of the perfect cookie recipe. A cookie that can be appreciated by all. From the carb counters to the diabetics to the careful parents and the sweet toothers. I have made endless batches of cookies in my kitchen. When I was pregnant, most of the cookies were high in fat, chocolate and sugar, however now that I have children, my focus has shifted and I am now baking low sugar/healthier cookies. I have a cookie on my website www.simplyfoodonline.com for Oatmeal Raisin Butter Cookies, which I am pretty happy with, but I was looking for something better, maybe a recipe where I did not have to add any sweetener (I only use Organic Agave Nectar) at all. What I found I have placed below. Holy Cow! These moist cookies can be eaten without much guilt at all. Without any added fat or sugar (besides that which is found naturally in the added fruit, this one is a true winner. I have tweaked it a bit and noted that you can add 2 tablespoons of organic agave nectar if you want to sweeten it even more. Another addition, if you like, in place of cocoa or carob powder, add a teaspoon of vanilla…YUM!!!

No-Sugar Date Chewies

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mash bananas in a bowl, leaving some little chunks.
In a medium bowl add the egg whites and mix with bananas (at this time add agave nectar, if you are using it)
Then add the dates and the raisins and mix well or until the fruit is coated with the egg mixture
Add the oatmeal and the cocoa/carob powder
Use parchment paper or non-stick cookie sheets to bake cookies
Bake for 22-25 minutes
Remove promptly from oven and transfer cookies to a cooling rack



Ingredients:
2 bananas (ripe)
2 egg whites (cage free eggs)
1 cup dates, chopped or ground
2/3 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (old fashioned work best)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, or 1 tablespoon carob powder or 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
2 table spoons agave nectar (for added sweetness if you desire, but truthfully, not needed)

1 comment:

sweet blue bird said...

These cookies sound great!

I came across your blog and the other simply food website while looking for recipes with agave nectar- thanks!

It's great to find other people out there like me, who just want to be healthy and eat good yummy food too.