Monday, March 10, 2008

Beef Brisket is Good...Trust Me.


Before today I have never made a beef brisket, actually, I had never even thought about it, but recently my husband and I bought at 3 lb grass fed beef brisket. There is a restaurant that we frequent called, Slows BBQ in Detroit, Michigan, they have the best brisket in the world, it is smoked and seasoned perfectly. I thought that there was no way I could make a brisket that would tantalize my mouth quite like this one, but I DID!

I was afraid to taste the meat when it came out of the oven for fear of disappointment. What if it was dry? What if there was no flavor? But, the moment of truth arrived and as I sliced into the meat, but knife seemed to slide right through effortlessly and the aroma made my mouth water. I tasted it and it was soooooooooooooooo good. Yum! I did it! I really did it!

I used a recipe found in Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book (75th Anniversary Edition) as a guide, but changed it a lot. What I came up with worked and I wouldn't change a thing.
Oven BBQ Brisket

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Trim excess fat from brisket
2. Rub outside of brisket with salt and pepper until evenly coated
3. Place in a 9"x13" baking/roasting pan
4. Stir all liquid ingredients and spices together well
5. Pour Spice and liquid mixture over meat
6. Chop green onion and add to pan
7. Cover with aluminum foil
8. Cook for 2 1/2 hours
9. Remove from over and let cool for 10 minutes
10.Cut in slices against the grain of the meat
11. Pour juices over the cuts of meat
Ingredients:
3-3.5lb beef brisket
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (all natural)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons catsup (organic)
1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (or 1 tablespoon sugar)
4 green onions

(I used and all natural grass fed beef brisket, which was pretty lean so I cooked it a 1/2 an hour less than you would cook a fattier piece of brisket. If the piece you are cooking is a little on the fatty side, I would cook for 3 hours)

No comments: