Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Power of Food

Food is a powerful thing.
It is used for celebrating, it is used for consoling, it is used to heal and it is used to keep us alive. Wow. So powerful. Recently, I have used it to heal. I am sure everyone has their own healing foods. Some people look to ice cream, some to chocolate, others to salty potato chips. What I crave is a simple pasta with meat sauce and more Parmesan cheese than you can fit in Sicily.

OK, and just to set the record straight, not just ANY pasta, Angel Hair Pasta...must be Angel Hair pasta, with a sweet meat sauce. Yes, this is the age of whole wheat and whole grain pasta, but when it comes to the right taste and texture of this dish, it must be made traditionally with Semolina flour for the silky smooth pasta texture that I crave.

I'm not going to lie to you, when it comes to tomato sauce, I don't usually make my own. I am a fan of Newman's Own Marinara sauce. Organic or not, this sauce is great. I love it and it is cheap.

Here is my easy recipe for Angel Hair Pasta with Meat Sauce-Mama Allison Style!

Sauce:
1 jar Newman's Own Marinara sauce (or your own favorite sauce)
1 pound lean ground beef (natural or organic, please)
1 pound Angel Hair Pasta (semolina preferred, but you can use your favorite)

That is it!
-Brown ground beef in a large skillet
-When meat is brown, add jar of sauce and stir. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes
-While sauce is simmering, boil 6 quarts of water in a large pot
-Cook pasta according to directions
-Drain and return to pot.
-Pour in meat sauce, stir until well blended
-Serve on a large platter with a generous portion of Parmesan cheese!

ONE thing to NOTE...when you need comfort, it should not be complicated. It should be easy, that is why this recipe works for me. It may not be great for you and it may not be complicated and gourmet, but it works.

No comments: