Monday, December 31, 2007

They don’t call it a "Slow Cooker" for nothin’

Food lovers be warned...Rushing + Food = Dry-Bad-Food.

Two rushed foods that ended up lifeless:
Banana Cakes
Rump Roast

Mistake #1-I had the oven turned up too high when making Banana Cakes (recipe can be found at
http://www.simplyfoodonline.com/breakfastbrunch.htm ). The banana cakes should be baked at 375 degrees. I baked them at 450 degrees. I noticed my mistake when I smelled the parchment paper. At 450 degrees the parchment paper starts to burn a bit. Then when I opened the oven I noticed that the banana cakes puffed up more than usual and were very brown on the top. At first I thought, “Wow, this might be an improvement!” That was, until I tried them. WOW, were they dry! We ate them, but my kids, who usually eat about four cakes a piece, only ate about one cake a piece.

Mistake #2-Rump Roast-I decided to cook a very lean rump roast. I wanted to slow cook it, but by the time I brought the crock pot up and prepared everything, I only had about 4.5-5 hours. I cooked it on high for 4 hours. This was a bad, bad move. I used a tomato based sauce and Italian seasonings because I was planning to use the sauce with pasta as a side. It was dry. This meat was very lean and should have been cooked for a slow, slow 10-12 hours.

LESSON: Do not try to speed up the cooking and preparing of your foods. Each time I have tried this (because I am a very impatient person) it ends up bad. Slow down, take your time and your food will be wonderful.

They don’t call it a Slow Cooker for Nothin’

Peace.
Allison

No comments: