Saturday, December 29, 2007

More than a rash. Food Allergies in kids

I recently spoke to a friend of mine living overseas whose daughter is allergic to peanuts. She had a pretty violent allergic reaction to a pasta sauce that contained a small amount of cashews. It was very scary for my friend. As a mother, she is extremely diligent in looking at labels to make sure that her daughter isn't eating anything that can cause a reaction. Imagine how hard it is to do this in a foreign country where you don't speak the native language.

This got me thinking about this allergy epidemic with kids. What is going on?

I am 34 years old and I can't remember any friends who had food allergies when I was younger. There may have been one, but I can't remember having "peanut free" rooms. We all ate peanut butter and jelly without fear, our mouths all covered in the sticky combination.

I found this recipe, changed it a little to my liking and I am posting it here. It is a recipe that is peanut free and egg free. I am doing it for my friend so she has a few other dishes to add to her repertoire.

Working in the health food industry, I meet a lot of folks with food allergies and I can say that there are alternatives out there, but it isn't easy. So, if you know someone with a food allergy and they are coming over your house for dinner, go out of your way to prepare a dish for them, they will really appreciate it.

A good product line to check out: Cherrybrook Kitchen. They have great egg free, peanut free, dairy free mixes for desserts. www.cherrybrookkitchen.com











Holiday Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. water
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. lemon extract
1 1/4 cups rice flour
1 tsp. cornstarch
confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. Set aside. In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add sugar; beat well. Stir in water and vanilla and lemon extracts. Add flour and cornstarch. Mix well. Roll into small balls and drop onto cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 7 minutes (cookies will not brown). Transfer to wire racks to cool. Top with confectioners sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sorry for the delay here, but thanks so much, we will definitely be trying out this recipe. I have tried a couple house standards replacing the eggs with different things and I am amazed that they tasted surprisingly (1) similar and (2) yummy! Once I figure out the portions, I'll post it here for you. (pancakes was one).
Can't believe I'm just realizing you already have all these great posts! I'll get to reading now...
baci, mat

Anonymous said...

nooo, not anonymous, just not yet fluent in italian, as this webpage is written....jeeesh.