Thursday, December 27, 2007

Happy New Year

Check out the updated recipes on www.simplyfoodonline.com. I have included a link to a great article that I read on Yahoo this morning…Very simple ideas to keep you healthy and fit for the New Year.
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/8305/new-years-weight-loss-6-tips/

Speaking of New Years and food…What traditions do you have for the New Year?

I was thinking about the tradition that my parents had for making Bouillabaisse (Bouillabaisse is a traditional Provencal fish stew originating from the port city of Marseille. Bouillabaisse is usually a fish stock containing different kinds of cooked fish and shellfish. These are complemented with a variety of herbs and spices such as garlic, orange peel, basil, bay leaf, fennel and saffron) on New Years Eve. It was a great meal and a taste that I associated with that night for years. My father still makes the soup, although sometimes it is eaten on New Years Day instead of New Years Eve. I can still remember the little vial of saffron that he used to make the Bouillabaisse. Yum.

This year, I want to start my own New Years Eve tradition with my family. Although my kids are small, I want to do something special. My thoughts kept drifting back to seafood. My son Max (3.5 years) has been asking us if we could make sushi. My husband and I love sushi and Max and Ben (1.5 years) have eaten it on a few occasions at a restaurant. What fun it would be to make sushi at home with the kids on New Years Eve! This could be OUR tradition. It makes me smile to think that years later my kids may think back to New Years Eve and remember our traditions. In addition, I am thinking that we may light a bonfire in the backyard, make s’mores and light sparklers to ring in the New Year.

Check out this website for info on how to make sushi at home http://www.sushilinks.com/recipes.html


I would love to hear some of your New Years Eve traditions! Submit your traditions here http://www.simplyfoodonline.com/submitarecipe.htm and I will post them on the site.


Have a Happy New Year

No comments: