Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rocco, Oh how I Love You...



You can use a great tomato sauce for just about anything-To make spaghetti, lasagna, simmer vegetables, add to ground meat, use on pizza. The ideas are endless. When I found this tomato sauce recipe, I knew it was the one. Plus, I love Rocco DiSpirito’s recipes. His five minute meals cook book has saved my life. Although sometimes he uses ingredients that I have to substitute for others, but I still love him. Did I mention that he is very easy on the eyes as well?

Here is his recipe, untouched, exactly the way I found it. And, this is exactly the way I make it (except, I use organic tomato products…sorry Rocco)

Go to www.roccodispirito.com


Mamas Marinara
© Spirit Media 2004-2008 All Rights Reserved
My Mom's sauce is my favorite--we call it the Mama sauce, and once you make it you will understand how it can become the backbone for so many dishes. Of course, you'll need it to make her famous meatballs, but it is also a great sauce to braise meat in, serve with eggs, or turn into a creamy tomato sauce.

3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
3 tbsp olive oil
chili flakes to taste
2 28-ounce cans tomato puree, Red Pack brand if possible
1 28-ounce. can crushed tomatoes, Red Pack brand if possible
1 tbsp tomato paste, Red Pack brand if possible
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken stock
red pepper flakes to taste
salt to taste

1. Cook the garlic and onion in the olive oil in a sauce pot over a medium-low flame, about 10 minutes or until garlic is tender and onions translucent, not brown (this is called "sweating" because it will draw out a lot of moisture and flavor). Add the chili flakes to taste.

2. Add all the tomato products. Pour the chicken stock into one of the 28-oz cans. Fill it the rest of the way with water and add that and the sugar to the pot. Stir and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with salt and cover. Simmer the sauce for about 1 hour. The sauce should be fairly thin, but not watery and very smooth. Uncover and simmer for 3 minutes if it is too thin for your taste; add a little water if it seems thick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your recipe on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

blog.keyingredient.com/

Rachel said...

Wow this looks absolutely good and probably taste delicious. I can’t wait to try this at home.