Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Look at me, I'm Sandra Lee!


When it comes to cooking and cooking shows, I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I started off not liking Rachel Ray (only because she bugged me) but have made a few of her recipes and have come to like the fact that she does not have any formal training, she just loves food. I can identify, (although she bugs me a little bit) I too love food and love to cook and have had no formal training. I am just not making millions of dollars doing it. At any rate, she grew on me. I have my favorites…Alton Brown, Anthony Bourdain, Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) and Jamie Oliver have all become faces that I like seeing on the Food Network. Their recipes and stories inspire me and they have real talent. And then there is Sandra Lee.

For those of you who don’t know Sandra Lee, here is a little snapshot: She is what they call a “lifestyle professional” (what is that?), whose show “Semi-homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee” has been on the Food Network for a few years. She combines fresh ingredients with specially selected store-bought items to make meals and desserts, prepared in minutes that taste like they were made from scratch. The result? Foods on your table for your family that are half “processed” and half fresh. YUCK! Yes, the concept sounds nice and easy and wow you can make a gourmet meal in minutes, fool your friends and give them something that they will think you slaved for days over. BUT, what they are really getting are foods laden with fake sweeteners, trans-fats and a list of other preservatives and artificial ingredients that are found in the processed foods that are used in her recipes.

Is it really that hard to cook from scratch? Nope. Is it nice to have time saving recipes? Yes it is. Is it nice to have easy recipes that are wonderful? Yes it is. Should you sacrifice good natural food for products that are bad for you and your family? Nope. So think about it. I don’t want to tell you what to do. You have the facts. Now run with it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you have your Mother's taste regarding TV "personalities". That Sandra Lee drives me nuts. I am an admitted Food TV addict but I hit the off button when that women comes on.

Unknown said...

that I am not the only one who feels this way! My husband and I started to watch her show for the first time this past weekend, and we were so disgusted with what we saw.
My daughter has multiple food allergies so cooking from scratch is essential for us, but we often say it has been a blessing in many ways because we are eating and feeling better then we ever have.

Great blog! I look forward to reading more!

Julie B said...

oh, and thanks for stopping by mine!

Anonymous said...

This comment is funny because I feel the same way. She mixes crappy ingredients in all her food and then just "pops" it in the oven. Thanks for visiting mt blog and I would be happy for you to link to mine, I will do the same.

SimplyFoodOnline said...

Thanks Rebecca! And, thanks for visiting and linking. Yea, that Sandra Lee! Someone sent me one of her recipes where she actually scraped the insides of a pie and a cake out and mixed them with pre-made cookie dough...YUCK!

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Sandra Lee and don't enjoy watching her, but I can see why Food Network would include someone like Sandra Lee in their lineup. Cooking from scratch might seem really intimidating to people who have never spent time in the kitchen. She's like training wheels or something.