Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Oatmeal is good. Yes it works.



When something works, it just works and that is how I am starting to feel about food. It doesn’t have to be complicated, it doesn’t have to be earth shattering, it just has to work (for you).

I came to this realization the other day while going through a cookbook. There were some recipes that were very simple and I thought to myself, “Well, duh, of course, who wouldn’t think of that…” but then I realized that this is a recipe that works, it isn’t crazy, it doesn’t have to be complicated, it just works. The flavors, textures and tastes all work together quite nicely and then I thought, “Why, yes, this recipe works.”

So, here it is, a nice simple recipe that works. I am sure I am not the first person to put these things together and I hopefully won’t be the last. I love the flavor and I am sure you will too.

Apple Peanut Protein Punch Oatmeal

Directions (serves 2):
1. Add water and Oatmeal to small saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Simmer at medium/low heat for 3 minutes
3. Add diced apples
4. Add Apple Pie Spice
5. Simmer for another 3 minutes
6. Remove from heat
7. Stir in peanut butter
8. Serve with a splash of cream or milk

Ingredients:
1. 1 cup old fashioned oats (organic preferred)
2. 1 ¾ cup water
3. ½ cup diced apples (organic, I leave the peal on for extra fiber)
4. 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice (a blend of cinnamon and nutmeg)
5. 2 table spoons natural peanut butter (organic)

…told you it was easy…but it works!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yours look so delicious, I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing all of your great recipes.